Award Winning Maternity Services at ORMC
This year, over 2,700 babies will be born at our hospital. There’s a reason that ORMC delivers more babies than any other healthcare facility in the Permian Basins. It’s because we view each new life as a miracle to celebrate, and our experienced team of doctors, nurses and other professionals are dedicated to helping your baby get the best possible start.
Odessa Regional Medical Center is the 2019 Five-Star Women's Care Recipient for Vaginal Delivery and C-Section Delivery for 5 Years in a Row by Healthgrades, the leading online resource for comprehensive information about physicians and hospitals. This designation indicates that the hospital's clinical outcomes are statistically better than expected when treating the condition or performing the procedure being evaluated.
Antepartum Unit - ORMC’s Antepartum Unit’s nursing staff cares for expectant moms who are experiencing complications during their pregnancy that require hospitalization. This 11-bed unit is equipped with comfortable private rooms and specialized equipment to monitor complicated pregnancies. This unit is supported by ORMC’s high-risk pregnancy physicians Kenneth Higby, Joseph P. Bruner, Byron D. Elliott and Joseph N. Bottalico
Labor, Delivery and Recovery - For the birth of your baby, we’ve prepared a private, spacious, Labor, Delivery and Recovery (LDR) suite. With an adjustable bed and reclining sleeper for your coach, our suites are designed to increase your comfort during labor. Each suite is also fully equipped to help ensure a safe delivery and outstanding medical care for the first hours of your baby’s life. If you require a Cesarean section, we also have surgical suites dedicated to women’s services, so you will be able to deliver your baby in an operating room located right in our maternity unit.
Private Postpartum Care - As the Permian Basin’s first choice for childbirth, we know how important this time is for you and your family. We will provide you a comfortable, private postpartum room for your recovery. While you and your family focus all attention on your new baby, your needs will be the postpartum staff’s focus. Our licensed massage therapist will help you relax each afternoon when she stops in to pamper you. And when you’re hungry, you can select a gourmet meal from our room service menu.
- We encourage mothers to keep their new babies in their rooms as much as possible. Rooming-in gives families time to bond and helps new parents learn how to care for their infant with the professional assistance of our nursing staff. We also offer in-room television programming to educate new parents about infant care.
- Our baby nursery is available for mothers who want to rest without their baby in the room or who are not able to care for their newborns. ORMC’s nursery staff works hand-in-hand with your pediatrician to provide quality care for your baby. With advancements such as infant hearing screenings, your baby will literally be examined from head to toe. We also contract with a photographer who will come into your room to photograph your baby while you are here if you are interested.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- As the first neonatal Intensive Care unit in the Permian Basin, we provide highly-trained nurses and respiratory therapists to support a board-certified neonatologist in meeting the special needs of newborns and premature infants. As the only Level III Designated NICU in the Permian Basin, our 49-bed unit is equipped with advanced incubation and monitoring equipment to provide a range of critical care services for these fragile newborns. With state of the art equipment such as nitric oxide therapy and head cooling technology, coupled with a respected transport team, babies from as far away as Alpine, Texas, and Hobbs, New Mexico, are transported into our NICU for immediate care.
- The postpartum nursing staff help you become a confident new parent by providing breastfeeding support and parenting education. Our lactation consultants are available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. to help our new mothers with breastfeeding.
Visitors In The Maternity Ward
We maintain a family-centered approach and offer flexible visiting hours and comfortable waiting areas for your guests.
ORMC believes that bonding between mothers and their new babies is very important. To allow our new mothers quiet time with their babies, we have Mommy Bonding Time from 1 to 4 p.m. each day. During this time, visitation is limited to only the mother’s significant other. We ask that all visitors respect this quiet time and plan your visit from 8am-1pm or 4pm-8pm daily.
Newborn Infant Security
Our comprehensive infant security plan is designed to protect our tiniest patients and to help ensure they stay safe in the hospital. In addition to other security measures, we use a high-tech electronic surveillance system to keep track of each baby. After birth, we place a small monitoring band around your baby’s ankle, where it remains until you take the baby home. The band, which is completely safe, transmits an electronic signal to a nursing station and alerts nurses if a baby ever moves too close to a maternity unit exit.
Obstetrics Emergency Department
24/7 Coverage for you and your baby
As part of our overall commitment to women’s health and care for expecting mothers, Odessa Regional Medical Center now offers an OB/GYN hospitalist program to provide consistent care to patients in our hospital, as well as emergent care to those arriving in Labor and Delivery. Our OB/GYN hospitalist program brings an experienced team of board-certified obstetricians and gynecologists on-site to ORMC 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
In the event that your physician is not available, OB/GYN hospitalists can provide an exam, evaluate the progress of your labor, review test results and fetal heart rate activity. They will address evolving issues and provide you and your baby with a safe delivery. The program’s hospitalists are highly skilled in a variety of different delivery techniques. In addition to being board certified, hospitalists are required to maintain high levels of clinical performance and professional standards.
These dedicated OB/GYN physicians at ORMC provide a number of services, including:
- provide care in times of emergency prior to the arrival of a patient's own physician;
- support the care of high-risk pregnancy patients;
- and deliver babies for patients who don't have an obstetrician.
Our shared mission is to elevate the standard of women’s healthcare by ensuring every expectant mother is evaluated and treated by a physician regardless of time, location, complication or circumstance.
Free Pregnancy Testing
We offer a Free Pregnancy Testing Clinic on Monday and Wednesday from 8:00 am – 6:00 pm, Tuesday and Thursday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm and Friday from 8:00 am - 3:00 pm , at the Community Health Center on the ORMC West Campus.
During the clinic, you can find out if you’re expecting a baby and get the services you need to ensure a healthy pregnancy, including helping you qualify for financial assistance and securing your first appointment with one of Odessa’s nine independent doctors who deliver babies.
For more information about the Free Pregnancy Clinic, please call (432) 582-8976.
Regional Perinatal Center
Experience means a lot when you’re having a baby, especially when you are concerned that your pregnancy may be high-risk.
New technological advances allow your baby to be independently monitored, measured, evaluated, and treated while still in the womb. The Regional Perinatal Center is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment to work hand-in-hand with your obstetrician by providing the following services:
- Consultations for high-risk or complicated pregnancies
- Genetic services
- Targeted ultrasound studies
- Fetal echo studies
- Fetal therapy
- Biophysical profiles
- 4-D Ultrasounds – for established patients
- Nuchal translucency
- Chorionic villus sampling
- First and second trimester non-invasive screening for chromosome abnormalities
If you are concerned that you are high-risk, the following is offered at the time of your consultation:
- Evaluation of your baby’s condition
- Explanation of the identified disorder and discussion of possible therapy
- If intervention is necessary, a review of the risks will be considered and discussed in detail
Kenneth Higby, Joseph P. Bruner, Byron D. Elliott and Joseph N. Bottalico are board certified Obstetrician/Gynecologists and Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialists with years of experience in all aspects of high-risk pregnancy management and consultative services.
Our Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialists are board certified and have special expertise required to provide care to both mother and baby in complicated pregnancies. With knowledge of diagnostic and treatment options for complicated pregnancies, the Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialists can evaluate your baby’s health before birth to detect abnormalities.
Genetic Counseling For The Odessa Community
The Regional Perinatal Center also offers the only certified genetic counselor in the Permian Basin to support expectant women from preconception planning throughout their pregnancies. Our genetic counselor helps both healthcare providers and patients understand the risks associated with birth defects, ultrasound findings, and other hereditary disorders. During a genetic counseling session, genetic information, and testing analysis is personalized through a review of family and medical history, and medical information is explained in a manner in which patients can make it meaningful for their lives. Information and support are provided throughout the decision-making, testing and result process.
For more information about the Regional Perinatal Center, please call 432-582-8757.
Leslie Chupp, MD
Jennifer Boyle, MD
Mary Grace Bridges, MD
Ayodele Olowookere, MD